Jan Palach’s commemorative plaque and bust
Všetaty, Komenského 375
“He was very polite and attentive both to classmates and adults, in and outside school, he continued to respect teachers even if he did not go to the local school anymore...”
Extract from Jan Palach’s description by the principal of the elementary school in Všetaty, 3 March 1969.
Jan Palach attended elementary school from 1954 to 1963. The school was opened in 1907, and it is situated in Všetaty square.
In 1990, Společnost Jana Palacha (Jan Palach Association) created a commemorative plaque which was placed next to the school entrance. On the plaque, there is a symbol of a burning torch and an inscription that reads: In 1954–1963, JAN PALACH WAS A PUPIL OF OUR SCHOOL * 11. 8. 1948 + 19. 1. 1969.
In 1996, the association opened Jan Palach’s memorial exhibition with some of his personal belongings, letters, and documents. The association also initiated the creation of a bust of Jan Palach made by sculptor Vlasta Prachatická. It was unveiled on 16 January 1999 by the President of the Czech Republic, Václav Havel. The bust is located in the school entrance hall, and it stands on a wooden pedestal in front of a plaque that reads: JAN PALACH.